About Tracked Links
Applies to: All ONTRAPORT accounts.
ONTRAPORT Tracked Links are a powerful automation tool that can be used nearly anywhere online to gather statistics, activate Campaign Triggers, Goals and even legacy Rules. You create a Tracked Link by providing a destination URL for the link. When your contact clicks a Tracked Link they first visit the ONTRAPORT servers and are then redirected to the destination URL. ONTRAPORT not only tracks the link click in the Contact Record, but also in the Tracked Links section.
ONTRAPORT already tracks regular links in emails, and links that lead to ONTRApages, so what is the benefit of a Tracked Link?
- Tracked Links can consolidate statistics from all sources, including emails, landing pages, display ads, and other media.
- You can include a Tracked Link in multiple email messages, on different landing pages, and other online media and not have to remember to add another Trigger or Goal to your Campaign.
- You can change the destination URL at any time in ONTRAPORT. If you have a membership offer, and you change URLs, you don't have to go back and edit the link in multiple email messages (or even try to remember where the link is on other online media).
How to Create a Tracked Link from any ONTRAeditor or Campaign
- In ONTRApages, ONTRAmail, ONTRAforms, select the text, button or image that you would like to hyperlink. Click the hyperlink icon.
- The Create a Link dialog box appears. Select Tracked Link.
- You can use any existing Tracked Link shown, but we'lll create a new one by selecting + New Tracked Link from the dropdown menu.
- Enter a name and insert the destination URL.
- Click Save and confirm the new tracked link is selected.
- Click Save on the Hyperlink.
How to Create a Tracked Link from Administration
- Go to Administration > Data > Tracked Links
- Click the New Tracked Link button
- Enter a nickname for your tracked link
- Enter a Destination URL. This is the URL that your tracked link will take you to when clicked.
- Click Save
If the Tracking URL Code is not already a column in your Tracked Links collection, click the plus sign icon at the top right and add the column:
Copy the Tracking URL Code and paste it where you would like the link to appear. Note that it is standard HTML link code and can be used on virtually any web page.
If you don't see Tracked Links in your Administration area, you may not have adequate user permissions. To check if your user seat has permission to see the Tracking tab, check out this article and ensure the Marketing checkboxes are marked. You may need an administrator of the account to adjust the permissions.
What You Can Do With Tracked Links
- Keep track of how many visits you get per tracked link in the Tracked Links collection
- Use the "Clicks Tracked Link" option in Triggers to add Contacts to a Campaign
- Create a Goal on your Campaign that acts when any contact clicks a Tracked Link
- Create a Group of contacts that have clicked the Tracked Link using Group Conditions
- See a Group of Contacts that have clicked the Tracked Link by clicking the # Visits in the Tracked Links collection in Administration > Data > Tracked Links
- Optional: Create Legacy Rules that trigger when a contact clicks a Tracked Link (not recommended)
Automation for Tracked Links should be initiated by a Campaign, rather than by using a Legacy Rule. Legacy Rules work in a similar fashion to a Campaign's Triggers or Goals, but are harder to maintain as time goes on. Keeping all automation on your Campaign, rather than in Legacy Rules, provides better visibility.
Usecase: Adding a Tracked Link to the Abandoned Cart Campaign
- Click Campaign > New Campaign and select the built-in Abandoned Cart Follow-up campaign
- Click to open the Trigger at the top. You can elect to populate the existing Triggers and add the "Clicks Tracked Link" trigger, or delete them and use just the "Clicks Tracked Link" trigger.
- Note the Wait element just below the Trigger. It is preconfigured to wait one hour after the Trigger to see if a product has been purchased. You can increase that value if desired.
- Configure the rest of the elements in the Campaign to send the nurturing emails. You may want to include a Personal Coupon code in the emails to encourage a purchase.