There are a couple of strategies to offering upsells/cross-sells to your customers that work with Ontraport
- Directly after they purchase product X - or when they download a leadgen - you offer them an additional product. Buys X - upsell Y. You can add an unlimited number of upsells or downsells - if they get X, upsell Y; if they don't want Y, downsell them Z, etc. The initial purchase for the upsell has to be done via a credit card gateway - anything but PayPal Standard. The reason is that they only give their card once and the additional purchases are charged to the same card immediately.
- After they've used the product for a while - via a sequence. Buys X, wait 3 days - upsell Z. You can use any payment processor you like, even PayPal Standard.
- Triggered by the fact that they've visited a specific set of pages - visits X + Y + Z, buys Z, offer X+Y at a discounted price. You can use any payment processor you like, even PayPal Standard.
When to do it is a question that depends on your business, price point and contacts.
- Only do it if the product that is upsold makes sense to the first one - it has to upgrade the experience. If you buy a fishing rod from a store, they upsell you some hooks, not a baseball bat.
- Upsell from a lower package to a higher - they get a Basic X, sell them Premium X - list all the additional benefits from the Premium upgrade.
- Upsell them more of the same - it can be offered as a gift to someone else, bulk pricing, etc. "Get a second X for just 25% more!"