- An ONTRAPORT account
- A domain that you own
What is an A record?
An A record (or Address record) is a DNS record that maps your domain name to a static IP address (i.e, web server).
To put this in English, If you try to visit google.com, your browser will go to Google's DNS and ask for an A record. The A record returns the IP address of the web server that hosts the web pages. All domains will have at least one A record pointing to the web server.
- WARNING: Do NOT change your primary domain A record to point to ONTRAPORT. It will redirect all visitors and your existing content will be unavailable
- An experienced developer may be able to use a wildcard subdomain record to allow use of ONTRAPORT landing pages on your site, but this is a complex set up that is no longer supported by all domain registrars. We no longer support this type of set up.
- If you have a WordPress site you can use the ONTRApages plugin to allow hosting ONTRApages on your existing domain. Just install the plugin; no other configuration is required.
If you have a new domain name, want your Wordpress site hosted by ONTRAPORT, and retain email service
- Point the primary domain A record to ONTRAPORT's Wordpress hosting IP address: 188.8.131.52
- Edit the MX records to use a third party email provider such as Google Apps or an Exchange provider
- WARNING: Do NOT point the primary domain A record to ONTRAPORT if you have an existing site with content. It will redirect all visitors and your existing content will be unavailable
- WARNING: You will NOT have FTP access, file browsing, or access to server settings with an ONTRAPORT hosted site
For full and up-to-date instructions on setting up (adding/editing) an A record in GoDaddy, visit this page.
Here are the ONTRAPORT IP addresses you'll need to specify when setting up your A record:
WordPress hosting (new domain only): 184.108.40.206
Note: this IP address changed in May, 2017. If you are currently using the old IP address for your A record, 220.127.116.11, please continue using it.
ONTRApages and Legacy Landing page hosting: 18.104.22.168
- Do not point your domain's primary A record to ONTRAPORT if you have content on the site already; the primary A record will redirect all visitors to the ONTRAPORT servers.
- You can point a new, unused domain's primary A record to ONTRAPORT to create a 1-Click Wordpress installation hosted by ONTRAPORT, and retain the ability to configure MX records to use an email provider such as Google Apps or an Exchange service provider.
- We do not currently do any A record or MX record support for link tracking.
- For some people, using ONTRAPORT hosted 1-Click WordPress sites is not recommended. It does not allow FTP access, or the use of most plugins or themes. For full featured WordPress sites we recommend you host it with a third-party web hosting provider.