A Record Setup for WordPress Hosting
About Using an A Record
Applies to: ONTRAPORT Plus and above.
An A record (or Address record) is a DNS record that maps your domain name to an IP address (i.e, web server). Using A records and other DNS settings allow you to use your own domain name and have it point to ONTRAPORT's server for hosting a WordPress site.
Note: ONTRAPORT cannot add an SSL certificate to domains pointed to us using an A Record. We strongly recommend using the name server method instead. Most browsers will warn your site is "insecure" without a SSL certificate by the end of 2018.
How You Can Use A Records
If your website is already established with content
- Do NOT change your primary domain A record to point to ONTRAPORT. It will redirect all visitors and your existing content will be unavailable.
- An experienced developer may be able to use a wildcard subdomain record to allow use of ONTRAPORT landing pages on your site, but this is a complex set up that is no longer supported by all domain registrars. We no longer support this type of set up.
- If you have a WordPress site you can use the ONTRApages plugin to allow hosting ONTRApages on your existing domain. Just install the plugin; no other configuration is required.
If you have a new domain name, want your WordPress site hosted by ONTRAPORT, and retain email service
- Point the primary domain A record to ONTRAPORT's WordPress hosting IP address: 220.127.116.11. This IP address changed in May, 2017. If you are currently using the old IP address for your A record please continue using it.
- Edit the MX records to use a third party email provider such as Google Apps or an Exchange provider
- Do NOT point the primary domain A record to ONTRAPORT if you have an existing site with content. It will redirect all visitors and your existing content will be unavailable.
- You will NOT have FTP access, file browsing, or access to server settings with an ONTRAPORT hosted site
- ONTRAPORT can not add an SSL certificate to your site pointed to us with an A Record. The site will be labeled "not secure" by some browsers.
How to set up an A record (using GoDaddy)
For full and up-to-date instructions on setting up (adding/editing) an A record in GoDaddy, visit this page.
- WordPress hosting (new domain only): 18.104.22.168. This IP address changed in May, 2017. If you are currently using the old IP address for your A record please continue using it.
- Do not point your domain's primary A record to ONTRAPORT if you have content on the site already; the primary A record will redirect all visitors to the ONTRAPORT servers.
- You can point a new, unused domain's primary A record to ONTRAPORT to create a 1-Click WordPress installation hosted by ONTRAPORT, and retain the ability to configure MX records to use an email provider such as Google Apps or an Exchange service provider.
- We do not currently do any A record or MX record support for link tracking.
- For some people, using ONTRAPORT hosted 1-Click WordPress sites is not recommended. It does not allow FTP, control panel, or "root" access, and does not support SSL security certificates. For full featured or busy e-commerce WordPress sites we recommend you host it with a third-party web hosting provider.
Articles in this section
- WordPress Integration Overview
- Set up Membership Quick Start
- PilotPress Settings
- PilotPress and the WordPress Editor
- Integrate an Existing WordPress Site
- Integrate a New WordPress Site
- Migrate From Another Membership System to ONTRAPORT
- Creating Membership Levels
- Protect Content on Pages, Posts and Categories in WordPress
- Testing PilotPress Content Protection