About the Spam Policy
Applies to: All ONTRAPORT accounts.
ONTRAPORT's Anti-Spam Policy
We strictly prohibit any involvement in unsolicited commercial email (UCE) campaigns, commonly known as SPAM. We maintain a Zero-Tolerance policy against SPAM, be it direct, third party or any affiliate or similar agent acting on the account holder’s behalf. All lists used in conjunction with the services provided by the service provider, are required to be 100% opt-in lists. Any client account that is connected to a report of or caught violating these policies, will be immediately terminated.
- You will abide with the U.S. CAN-SPAM act of 2003 and standards set by the email industry, which state: If it’s unsolicited, it’s spam.
- You are only permitted to send email to contacts that have specifically requested to receive content from you.
- You may not add email addresses to our service, that you rented, purchased, or “scraped”. This includes a list of ‘opt-in leads’ or a list of names and emails obtained from your Chamber of Commerce, etc.
- We in no way participate in mass unsolicited emailing (i.e. spamming), and all Partners are expected to adhere to this policy as well. Violation of this policy will result in the termination of your contract and immediate dismissal from the Partner Program.
- No refunds or pending commissions will be provided to anyone whose account is terminated for violating this policy.
Please see our full Terms and Conditions on our ONTRAPORT Legal site.
ONTRAPORT is a permission-based marketing tool. This means that you're only permitted to send bulk email to contacts that have requested to get specific content from you. Bulk email is anytime you are sending to more than one email address, or sending an automated email through a Campaign or legacy automation feature. If you send a message using bulk email to someone who hasn't specifically asked for the email, it is "spam". Sending spam from our service is grounds for immediate account termination, without refund.
You can still use contact information in ONTRAPORT to reach out in other ways, via individual emails, postcards (US addresses only), or via Facebook Custom Audiences marketing. ONTRAPORT provides a Bulk Email Status field that can be set to "Transactional Only" to prevent bulk email sends to that contact but maintain the other CRM features in ONTRAPORT for that contact. See the paragraph named Use the Bulk Email Status field under the What Are the Possible Policy Violations section below.
What are the Possible Policy Violations
If your contacts did NOT opt-in on YOUR opt-in form, or otherwise specifically give YOU permission to email them, you MAY NOT send bulk email to them.
That means, if you...
- Rented or purchased a list of 'opt-in leads'
- Got a list of names and emails from a third party
- Copied them off some website
- Copied them off of business cards from a trade show
...you may not send any bulk email to them from our system. Doing so may get your account suspended immediately.
You must be able to provide proof that your contacts have opted in for the specific type of email you are sending them. If they opt in using ONTRAPORT forms we have that permission already (it is in the Contact Log and Automation Log in the Contact Record). But, if you are importing them from elsewhere you have to be able to prove that each one, individually, has opted in to receive email from you. Keep the proof in a safe place and provide it upon request.
Permission also needs to be maintained. This means that if you have not contacted the list in over a year, you cannot email the list through ONTRAPORT. Stale lists run a high risk of exceeding our bounce and complaint thresholds. We also recommend running your list through a cleaning service if you have not contacted the list in several months.
Use the Bulk Email Status field
You may import contacts and use them for Facebook Custom Audiences, post card mailings (US addresses only), or individual sales efforts without violating this policy. During import, select the option to import them with the Bulk Email Status set to "Transactional only". This status still allows you to send individual emails to them one at a time, and send them products such as newsletters they have ordered, but will automatically exclude them from any bulk emails you send.
How Do We Know Who's Abusing the System?
As a professional email service provider, it's critical to our success that we only allow quality, permission-based senders to email from our servers. So, we very closely monitor the situation all-day, everyday.
In addition to tracking the complaint button on the Manage Your Subscriptions page, we also have agreements with all the major ESPs (that is, mailbox providers like AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, etc) that allow us to see who is complaining by clicking the service's 'this is spam' link. We also monitor bounce rates, which emails are getting filtered by spam systems, inbox delivery rates over dozens of mailbox providers worldwide, and more.
Further, we monitor imported contact lists and the content of your messages to catch spammy garbage before it heads out the door.
Bottom line: if you don't have permission to email the people in your list, we'll know it and you'll hear from us. If the problem is egregious, we'll close your account immediately. If it's egregious and we know you that you're deliberately and continuously violating our terms of service, we'll charge you for the time we have to spend de-smearing our reputation and will close your account.
What are Acceptable Complaint and Bounce Rates?
- Complaints: Must be no more than 0.1%
- Bounces: Must be no more than 7%
Most of our clients maintain complaints and bounce rates far below these threasholds.
Articles in this section
- ONTRAPORT and GDPR
- List Bombing
- Order Form Security Updates
- Active Re Engagement
- Email Delivery 101
- Can I Import My Email List
- Bounces, Unsubscribes, and Complaints
- List Management
- Getting too many complaints? Start here!
- Remove "via ontramail.com" From Your Email FROM Address