Applies to: All ONTRAPORT accounts.
By default ONTRAPORT signs all authentication on emails using the domain “ontramail.com”. This causes Gmail to display the email as being “sent by yoursite.com via ontramail.com” and Outlook to display the email as being "sent by yoursite.com on behalf of ontramail.com".
Follow the steps below to remove "on behalf of" and "via ontramail" from Gmail and Outlook (other ESP's do not require this authentication), in the from email address line. This will authenticate DKIM and SPF signing for emails sent from an ONTRAPORT account.
To do this you will need:
- An ONTRAPORT account.
- A privately hosted email FROM address. It cannot be a free email address such as @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @hotmail, etc.
- Access to your domain's DNS records.
- Knowledge of how to add a new DNS record to your domain.
Note: If you are not familiar with making modifications to your DNS settings we strongly recommend hiring a qualified web developer to complete this process as you can permanently lose all content, email service, etc. on that domain if other settings are inadvertently changed.
Log into the DNS manager of your domain registrar and add the following records:
- Record 1: DKIM
- Type: TXT
- Name: ontramail._domainkey
- Value: "v=DKIM1;k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDiHV+GFJUPAtmIh26KHbn5PZXEFm3XK2XjEs4HFOSDZthULWyGvI5CqfYmNm7LFTWC3v5m6CtbLeNgDu0RwTw+94TSryL4ZYC6PESaJCHurmpREZTh+UFlLliRip3reqrNfoYpkiWa6fgu9vbyZob+W3d+leBP/p0mmOXeJiOjKwIDAQAB;"
- Record 2: SPF
- Type: TXT
- Name: Blank or @ (the root domain)
- Value: "v=spf1 include:_spf-moon-ray.ontramail.com include:_spf-ontramail.ontramail.com ~all"
- Optional: DMARC (primarily applies to larger corporate companies who want to prevent spoofing)
- Create a DMARC record with a company like https://dmarcian.com.
- Email email@example.com and let our team know what domains you added these records to so they can make the necessary changes on their end.
Note: There can only be one SPF record per domain. If you have an existing SPF record, the items will need to be merged. If you are sending email from other services using this domain you will need to add the mailing IPs of those other services in your SPF record as well. These can be added as new “ip4:” items in the value. In addition, add any other mailing domains that your mail might come from in an “include:example.com” item.
- To set this up you MUST be on ONTRAPORT, if you are a SendPepper or an Office Autopilot customer and waiting to be migrated you will not be able to implement this until your account has been migrated. (If you do not know what that means it does not apply to you.)
- The change will only be final once you have hosted the necessary DNS records and our postmasters have confirmed that everything is in place and working correctly.
- This change will affect all inbox types except for some versions of the Outlook desktop client.
- "Send Preview Emails" will continue to show "on behalf of".
What is DMARC
DMARC is a technical standard created by email service providers (Gmail, Outlook, etc) to help reduce email abuse, like phising and email spoofing. Essentially, DMARC is a standardized way for ESPs to check emails for signs of spam and abuse, by cross-referencing SPF and DKIM validations.
What is DKIM?
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) lets an organization take responsibility for a message that is in transit. The organization is a handler of the message, either as its originator or as an intermediary. Their reputation is the basis for evaluating whether to trust the message for further handling, such as delivery. Technically DKIM provides a method for validating a domain name identity that is associated with a message through cryptographic authentication. For more information on DKIM please refer to http://dkim.org or http://dkimcore.org.
What is SPF?
Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an attempt to control forged e-mail. SPF is not directly about stopping spam – junk email. It is about giving domain owners a way to say which mail sources are legitimate for their domain and which ones aren't. While not all spam is forged, virtually all forgeries are spam. SPF is not anti-spam in the same way that flour is not food: it is part of the solution. For more information on SPF please refer to http://www.openspf.org/.
Articles in this section
- ONTRAPORT and GDPR
- List Bombing
- Order Form Security Updates
- Active Re Engagement
- Email Delivery 101
- Can I Import My Email List
- Bounces, Unsubscribes, and Complaints
- List Management
- Getting too many complaints? Start here!
- Remove "via ontramail.com" From Your Email FROM Address