Types of Bounces
There are two kinds of "bounces".
Temporary conditions with the contact's ESP (Email Service Provider), including:
- A full mailbox
- An inbox "spam protector" autoresponder that requires senders to respond to a verification email in order to make it into the inbox
- The ESP being temporarily down
- 3rd party spam-blocker on their local computer.
Hard bounces happen due to one of the following:
- A bad email address
- 4 consecutive soft-bounces.
Unsubscribes happen when a person clicks the Unsubscribe link that appears by law at the bottom of all your bulk emails. Of course, if a person complains they will also be unsubscribed from your sequences and their Bulk Email Status will change to Transactional Only, indicating they do not want marketing content. See our Transactional Email article for more details on this bulk email status.
Complaints are bad for your email marketing health. Don't get them. Your contacts can complain in one of two ways:
- They click the This is Spam (or similar) button within their email program.
- They click the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of an email and then, rather than merely opting out of receiving future mailings, they additionally click the Report Abuse button at the bottom of the unsubscription page.
Articles in this section
- List Bombing
- Order Form Security Updates
- Email Delivery 101
- Can I Import My Email List
- Bounces, Unsubscribes, and Complaints
- List Management
- Getting too many complaints? Start here!
- Remove "via ontramail.com" From Your Email FROM Address
- Getting Permission To E-Mail