What is Landing Page Split Testing?
Split testing a Landing Page allows you to create multiple versions of one Landing Page and then find out which versions of the page are garnering the most results in terms of views and conversions. In other words, you’ll be able to see how many page visits and form fill-outs each version is receiving. Each person visiting the landing page will see one of the split tests you create automatically.
How to Split Test an ONTRApages Landing Page
- Create your first version of the landing page. Click the Split Test toggle from Off to On
- The page you start with is automatically assigned to version A in the split test. You can click the plus sign next to it to add another page.
- You can select to create a copy of the current page and then edit it, or create an entirely new page. The first additional page you add is automatically page B in the split test.
- You can add up to two more pages by repeating steps 2 and 3. They become page C and D respectively. ONTRAPORT evenly divides the page visits between each version.
- To select a version in the editor, select the down arrow next to the version letter and select from the drop down box.
- To view the statistics for the split test after the pages have attracted opt ins click the Stats tab. In this example we see that version A has the lowest conversion rate of the four, at 20%.
- To remove version A from the test, and continue using versions B, C and D, return to the Design tab. Select version A from the drop down and hover over the trash can icon at the top right. It expands to say Remove Split Test. Clicking this link will permanently delete version A from the split test.
- To end the split test, delete all the unwanted versions. Or, slide the Split Test toggle to Off. When the Split Test toggle is set to Off, ONTRAPORT will serve the lowest letter page for all page visits. In this example, where version A has been deleted, ONTRAPORT will serve version B, and version C and D are ignored. Setting the Split Test toggle back to On will result in versions C and D once again being in rotation and served one third of the time.
Note: ONTRAPORT cookies the browser with the version it has visited. On return visits, the browser will always see the same version of the page. To test the split test function, delete all cookies between each visit to the page.
How to Split Test a Legacy Landing Page
Open a new or existing Legacy Landing Page in Sites > Landing Pages
Click + New Version in the toolbar.
Select Start with a blank page, or start with a copy (“Version A” in the image).
Toggle between the Split Testing Legacy Landing Pages by clicking on Version A or Version B at the upper right of the editing screen.
To remove a version from the Split Test, click the minus sign next to the version. ONTRAPORT will continue to serve the pages still in rotation.
To view the results of your Legacy Landing Page split test(s), click the Stats tab. If needed, click on the name of the page to expand the split test stats.