About Using the Facebook Connect Button
Applies to: ONTRAPORT Plus and above.
This integration allows you to create a Connect with Facebook button and place it on your website. When clicked, the button connects the person to their Facebook account and, with their permission, opts them into your Contact database. The first name, last name and email address are added. You must create a separate Connect with Facebook button for each website or domain.
Facebook frequently changes their interface, and often split tests pages. Some of the images and explanations may not exactly match what you see in your Facebook account. We have provided links to the Facebook documentation where needed.
Create the Facebook App
- Create a free Facebook Developer's account
- Visit Facebook Marketing API and click Create an Ads App.
- Click Create to create a new Ads App.
- Name your new app, provide your Contact Email, and click the Create App ID button.
- In the left menu, click Settings and then Basic. Click the +Add Platform button at the bottom.
- Select Website from the dialog box and enter the URL you will be installing the Connect with Facebook button on. Note that you will need to create a separate app for each unique URL you install the button on.
- Copy the App ID at the top of the page to a text file for use in ONTRAPORT later.
- Click Save Changes.
This completes the Facebook App configuration. You do not need to make the Facebook App live, or submit it for review.
ONTRAPORT needs only the App ID copied in step 7 to configure the button.
Configure the App in ONTRAPORT
- Log into ONTRAPORT
- Go to Administration > Social > Facebook
- Click New Facebook App and fill in the first two fields. The App Name does not have to match the Facebook App name, but it does make it easier to edit later if you use the same name. The Application ID is the App ID number you obtained when creating the application.
- Set a redirect URL in the third field. After a contact opts in using Facebook they will be directed to this page. You can edit this setting at any time.
Generate the Connect to Facebook Code
- Select your Facebook App
- Click Generate Code
- Copy the generated code to your clipboard
- Paste the code on your web page where you want the Connect with Facebook button to appear. Save the page and test the button function.
Facebook may display an error code when you click the button. If it does, edit this line in the code: scope="email,public_profile,user_location,user_hometown,user_birthday,user_website,user_likes,user_friends" to read simply: scope="email,public_profile,user_friends"
Articles in this section
- Integration Overview
- Facebook Custom Audiences
- Connect with Facebook Integration
- Integrating with Zapier
- Integrating GoToWebinar
- Integrating with Zoom
- Advanced Zap - Form Fillout Trigger
- Integrating with Calendly via Zapier
- Integrating with Lob Using Zapier Webhooks
- Integrating with AccessAlly